Updated Saturday December 12, 2015 by Brookwood Athletic Association Baseball & Softball.
Effective April 11, 2007
- In order to protect the youth of Brookwood Athletic Association For Baseball and Softball (BAAB) and to raise the standards of BAAB, it is the policy of BAAB that at any BAAB sanctioned game, practice or event, there must be at least one (1) adult present who has successfully completed a criminal background check. If there is not one (1) adult present who has completed a BAAB Background Check, the game, practice or event must be halted or postponed until such an adult is available.
- A written authorization for allowing BAAB to order an individual criminal background check is required by BAAB and it is the responsibility of the candidate for the Manager or Official Roster Coach position, the “Applicant”, to fill out the BAAB background check consent form and return it as follows: Forms must be returned no later than the last Registration. Failure to provide a background check consent form by the deadline may disqualify the Applicant from consideration for their Manager or Official Roster Coach position.
- The Background Screening “Committee” shall administer all background screening procedures. The Committee shall be made up of the current President, Vice President, and one other Board Member appointed by the President. The League Directors shall receive the completed background screening consent forms and forward them to the Background Committee. The Committee shall be responsible for transmitting the forms to the reporting agency selected by the Board. The Committee shall receive and review the results of the background screening reports from the agency. The reporting agency will only send back reports if the individual does NOT meet the BAAB minimum standards using the following criteria:
Applicants shall be disqualified from positions as a Manager or Official Roster Coach if they have ever been found guilty entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere, regardless of the adjudication and time elapsed, for any of the following:
A. Any Felony conviction involving violence
B. Any Felony or Misdemeanor conviction involving a Minor
C. Any Felony or Misdemeanor conviction involving a sexual offence.
Should any pending charges described in “A” , “B” or “C” be uncovered, or should any charges be brought against an Applicant during the season, the Applicant shall be suspended from serving as a Manager or Official Roster Coach until such time as the charges have been cleared or dropped and he/she is reinstated by a majority vote of the BAAB Board of Directors.
In addition, Applicants shall be disqualified if they have been found guilty or entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere, regardless of the adjudication, for any of the following within the past seven (7) years:
D. Any Misdemeanor conviction involving violence;
E. Multiple convictions of a similar nature regardless of the time elapsed; and,
F. Any Felony Conviction not listed under “A” , “B” or “C”.
In addition, Applicants shall be disqualified if they have been found guilty or entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere, regardless of the adjudication, for any of the following within the past five (5) years:
G. Any crimes of moral turpitude or lack of integrity and/or character of an
Applicant, as determined by the Background Check Committee in its sole
H. More than one alcohol or drug related conviction.
In addition, Applicants shall be disqualified if they have been found guilty or entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere, regardless of the adjudication, for any of the following within the past two (2) years:
I. Any conviction involving alcohol or drugs.
- The Background Check Committee shall notify the affected Applicant that a disqualifying entry was reported on the criminal background check and present the background report to the Applicant. In the event the Applicant feels a mistake has been reported in their criminal background check, it is the Applicant’s responsibility to contact the reporting agency and resolve any issues.
- All information in response to the criminal background check or disclosed in the review process shall be kept confidential to the fullest extent possible and not disclosed or discussed outside of the review process. BAAB and its members are not responsible for errors or omissions that may be reported on background checks. The Background Check Committee and or Board Members of BAAB shall maintain all authorizations, records, information, or reports in a confidential manner.
- All background checks will expire one (1) year from the date of submission to the reporting agency. If the background check is set to expire during the commission of that sport, another background check must be completed.
- The Background Check Committee recognizes that an Applicant may present with a history of a conviction(s) not specifically set forth above, or with an incident, or pattern of behavior, any of which may reflect poorly on an Applicants integrity, character, and fitness to serve as a Manager or Official Roster Coach. In these instances, the Background Check Committee reserves the right to disqualify an Applicant. The Applicant is free to appeal any such action to the full BAAB Board of Directors. Information presented by the Applicant to the Board in any such process shall be considered confidential by the Board.